hotdigity blog background

Thursday 28 December 2017

Cold Process Liquid Soap (CPLS)

I am having so much fun with potassium in my soap kitchen! Why potassium do you say? Because Potassium hydroxide AKA caustic potash is used to make liquid soap. You could make liquid soap with sodium hydroxide (lye) by just adding more water but it is gloppy and sloppy and slimy---eww. Sodium hydroxide based soap wants to be solid, whereas potassium hydroxide produced soap will stay a nice liquid which many of us enjoy in a shampoo or body wash.

I've made liquid soap with the hot process method and it's messy and takes FOREVER in watching and tending. Frankly it makes me a little nervous having a hot boiling pot of caustic concoction bubbling and boiling in my soap kitchen. When I came across the cold process method, I thought "Why not? I make the best bar soap with the cold process. Lets give it a try." Guess what? It's amazing and so easy! You still have to play the waiting game and leave it for a week or so before dilution. Warning: thickening diluted soap is kind of like making bath bombs (a 'feel' kind of thing with so many different options your head may spin a little at first).

Here is a link to making CPLS with me in my soapy kitchen...

Making Cold Process Liquid Soap



You might also want to continue on to the next step 24 hours later...



Day 2 CPLS--The Vaseline Stage

Then if you are still interested come on the journey to testing your soap paste..



Day 3 CPLS Testing your soap paste

Then comes the fun stuff! Making products with your Soap Paste...



Making Goldi Dreadlocks Soap Paste


I'm still making more videos on this topic so hit 'Subscribe' on my YouTube channel while you are there and say hi! Making your own Shampoo with CPLS paste is up next!  Spoiler: Chocolate Chip Cookie scented Shampoo! It's heavenly (IMO) and aids in the most lovely curls in my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment